Friday, July 11, 2008

LADM 2008


Phil and I board the shuttle that takes us to the La Royal Palm Hotel where the conference is being held.  We gather in the lobby of the surprisingly comfortable hotel and wait for the second floor to open.  The first floor is where the business to business trade show and the speaking events are to be held.  The 54 LADM finalists will set up displays on the second floor.  The booth positions are handed out and and we begin setting up.  dissigno's booth is in the back corner of the back room.  The air conditioner is broken, and I break a dripping sweat standing there in the dark corner.  It doesn't bode well for me!  Despite these inauspicious beginnings I persevere and set up the dissigno display.  

The pride of the booth is a map of Karagwe Tanzania with small Christmas lights indicating generator locations.  Dave thought this up and I must admit I thought it dumb at first.  I ran all over San Francisco looking for the small Christmas lights in March and couldn't find them anywhere.  Finally, about to give up I stop at Cliff's Variety ( I will always go here first) and found a set.  Over a beer in my kitchen I diligently stick the lights through holes in the map and glue them into place.  It was a little difficult to get the whole display to Accra.  I thought for certain I was going to get stopped at the airport (wires and batteries certainly don't seem like something the TSA will let on a plane).  However, all the effort was worth it as it was a perfect visual display of our plan.


No comments: